When working with multiple sheets in Excel, it’s often necessary to reference data from one sheet to another. In this step-by-step guide, we will show you how to create a formula that references another sheet, enabling seamless data calculation across sheets.
Step 1: Open Excel and load your workbook:
- Launch Excel on your computer.
- Open the workbook that contains both the sheet with the data you want to reference and the sheet where you want to create the formula.
Step 2: Identify the source sheet and target cell:
- Determine the specific sheet from which you want to reference data.
- Select the cell on the new sheet where you want the formula to display the referenced data.
Step 3: Start the formula with an equal sign:
- In the target cell on the new sheet, type the equal sign (=) to begin creating the formula.
Step 4: Navigate to the source sheet:
- Click on the source sheet’s tab at the bottom of the Excel window.
- Select the cell or range of cells containing the data you want to reference.
Step 5: Return to the target sheet:
- Click on the target sheet’s tab to switch back to it.
Step 6: Complete the formula with the cell reference:
- In the target cell, continue typing the formula, including the cell reference from the source sheet that you selected in step 4.
- For example, if the data you want to reference is in cell A1 of the source sheet, your formula may look like “=Sheet1!A1”.
Step 7: Press Enter to calculate the formula:
- After completing the formula, press Enter on your keyboard to calculate it.
- The referenced data from the source sheet will now populate in the target cell.
Step 8 (Optional): Copy the formula to other cells:
- If you need to reference the same data in multiple cells, you can copy the formula to other cells.
- Select the target cell with the formula.
- Use the fill handle (a small square on the bottom-right corner) to drag and copy the formula to other cells.
Step 9: Save your Excel workbook:
- Once you have created and copied the formula as needed, click on the “File” tab.
- Select the “Save” option to save your Excel workbook.
Referencing data from one sheet to another in Excel is a powerful feature that simplifies complex calculations. By following these step-by-step instructions, you can easily create a formula that references another sheet, facilitating seamless data calculation across sheets. Improve your Excel skills and enhance your ability to work with multiple sheets in a single workbook.